A natural wig is an accessory that can be worn as needed but also by choice, to change your look as you wish. We tell you all about the ways to manufacture it, use it and the gestures to maintain it on a daily basis.
Whether you wear it for medical reasons (disease, anti-cancer treatment, etc.) or just to be able to change your look like your shirt, natural wig It is an essential supplement for many people, especially women but also for an increasing number of men. But what are the characteristics of a high quality human hair wig? How do you choose yours? What are the tips to extend its life? Here’s everything you need to know about natural hair prosthetics.
As its name suggests, the Natural wigs made from hair that has grown once on the human head (Unlike synthetic fibers or animal hair wigs). Their origin varies but wicks from India, China, Europe and Brazil are the most common. After the hair is picked (most often sold by its owners or donated to associations that help cancer patients), it is dyed and then colored in a large number of shades in order to achieve as many looks as possible. Various, from the most natural to the most fanciful. Depending on the scope of the wig, the hair is sewn manually, machine or semi-manual. (The back of the prosthesis is machine designed while the front and top are manually fixed) on a base of invisible micro-leather, tulle, or made of thin strips of cotton. Depending on the model, at this stage the cut is completed and movement is given to the hair, for example, creating a fringe or parting on the side. Some high-quality wigs also feature an invisible micro-skin front edge, called “cinema tulle,” to give the appearance of hair emerging from the scalp.
Wearing a wig is not always synonymous with illness. In recent years, they are more than ever present on the red carpets but also on the street, where they are considered real fashion accessories. We put on a wig to change the texture of the hair, test a new color or a new cutwith a more natural result.
If wearing a wig is associated with a health problem, then many questions arise: would you like to choose a mannequin that is closer to your hairstyle, to better disguise your condition? Or, on the contrary, do we want to take the opportunity to change our mind? This decision is, of course, subjective and depends on each person’s relationship to the disease. To choose a prosthesis for your hair, you can go to specialized hairdressing salons to try on different models and be able to ask all your questions.. There are some in Paris but also all over France. Regarding scheduling an appointment, there is no certain rule: you can go there before and after hair loss, depending on the desire and need. Some niche sites also offer to buy natural wigs online, but the model obviously cannot be tried before you take out your credit card. Natural wigs, due to the quality of the hair, are the most expensive, with Prices range from 500€ for machine manufacturing up to approx.2000€ For models mounted by hand on the monofilament.
The health insurance fund and health insurance funds can participate in this purchase or allow reimbursement. In this case The prescription given by the attending physician or oncologist must be sent to Social Security He promised seven days to be compensated.
Just like the haircut, the wig is also chosen according to the shape of the face.
- Round faces will choose a long or medium length wig with volume on top to slim the face
- Thin faces will opt for a hair prosthesis with volume on the sides to accentuate the facial features. It can be a wavy or curly model.
- Meanwhile, you will opt for the long faces of a medium length wig model. Models with bangs can also be a good option.
In terms of price, these fancy wigs, also called “lace wigs,” are less expensive than medical prosthetics but do not benefit from any Social Security coverage. You can find beautiful models starting at 150 euros in specialized online stores.
When the wig is made of human hair, It is maintained in almost the same way as natural hair. Before you think about washing them, they should be loosened with a wooden brush or a wide-tooth comb. If it has a few knots, it is recommended that you start detangling from the ends and gently work your way up to the roots.
- To clean it, simply put it under lukewarm water and then shampoo it gently A product for dry and damaged hair. In fact, synthetic hair strands cannot depend on the scalp to nourish it, it needs a little outside help to remain soft and shiny. Once you rinse the wig with clean water, you can apply a little conditioner or leave the repair mask on for 5 to 10 minutes, as with natural hair.
- To dry, the wig must be fixed to a specific support so that the cap retains its shape. It is possible to use a conventional hair dryer but It is recommended to let it air dry. When the hair is dry, you can then use a hair straightener or curler to give it the desired shape, not forgetting to spray the heat protectant spray beforehand.
- The recommended washing frequency varies depending on several factors such as the number of days per week the wig is worn, humidity, lifestyle, etc. Some people will feel the need to wash their hair prostheses once a week, while others prefer to leave some space between care.